Increased Theft of Landrover Defenders | Farm Insurance
In January 2016, the last ever Land Rover Defender rolled off the production line, resulting in an increase in the level of thefts of the iconic vehicle in the UK.
Land Rover Defender owners in the UK and Ireland have been urged to be careful after a number of thefts over the past three months. Lincolnshire Police said;
If you have one, please make sure it is secure in a garage and is fitted with an alarm and tracking device.In some cases, thieves have still been able to make off with the vehicle or parts from it, but taking these measures significantly increases your chances of preventing a theft.
Between 2014 and 2015, the number of Land Rover Defender thefts in the UK increased by 8%, figures from NFU Mutual, the Agricultural Vehicle Specialist Insurer show.
Advice For Securing Your Defender:
- Fit an approved mechanical steering or pedal lock immobiliser.
- Fit an alarm and consider adding a tracking device.
- Fit a hidden battery isolation or fuel cut-off switch.
- Keep the vehicle in a lockable building or park in a visible well-lit areas.
- Have the VIN number etched on windows.
- Take photographs of unusual features which could aid identification if stolen.
- Remove any valuables from the vehicle.
- Thieves will target component parts so consider using a forensic marking solution to mark them.